A Detroit woman decided there were scarier things in the news to put in her Halloween display than killer clowns.
Larethia Haddon placed six dummies in her yard, each depicting a a real-life horror, according to Michigan Live. With help from her grandchildren, Hadden dressed the dummies up to depict terrorism, police shootings, the Flint water crisis and other realities.
Haddon said her grandchildren inspired the idea, telling her “We’re not afraid of monsters or the boogeyman. We’re afraid of what’s going on in the world right now,” according to Michigan Live.
Last year, Haddon displayed one dummy that appeared to be a dead body laying face-down in her yard, which Michigan Live said scared people and promoted calls to the police. This Halloween, Haddon and her family said they wanted to send a message.
“We’re trying to do something positive instead of just having a dead body laying in the yard,” Haddon told Michigan Live. “Want to get people to be a little more focused on the issues, what’s going on in the world. We need to stick together more. We need to come together. And if we don’t, this scene in my yard is going to be reality every single day.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org