Donald Trump praised Mike Pence’s debate performance Wednesday afternoon, but he said the credit is really due to the top of the ticket.
“Mike Pence did an incredible job, and I’m getting a lot of credit because that’s really my first so-called choice, that was my first hire,” Trump said in Henderson, Nevada. “I’d argue that Mike had the single most decisive victory in the history of vice presidential debates. I believe that, too. And last night America also got to look firsthand at my judgment.”
The Republican Governor of Indiana remained calm during the first and only vice presidential debate Tuesday night as Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine lobbed a series of zingers against him and tried to pin him to some of Trump’s more controversial statements. Pence coolly deflected, denied and ignored most of the attacks.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Tessa Berenson at tessa.Rogers@time.com