Fresh off his unconventional turn as a rough-edged, down-and-out youth for American Honey, Shia LaBeouf has resurfaced in the first images from the set of Borg/McEnroe. The new movie, which follows the infamous rivalry between the two tennis legends John McEnroe and Björn Borg and culminated in their epic 1980 Wimbledon showdown, features LaBeouf as the outsized character of McEnroe and Sverrir Gudnason as Borg.
In an interview last spring with Variety, LaBeouf called the story “truthful, tangible, anchored, human” and noted that he cried the first time he read the script. He added that he was “eager” to meet McEnroe before shooting (which started in August).
“I got nothing but love and respect for him,” he said. As for similarities between the two men? “Everything in common. Passionate. Perfectionist. Narcissistic. I’m a bit of a caricature also.”
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.