Still riding high on the chart-topping success of the ubiquitous “Closer,” the DJ duo of Drew Taggart and Alex Pall have now released “All We Know,” another bittersweet soundtrack for the rollercoaster of modern romance. The somewhat subdued song has all the signature Chainsmokers tics: an easy beat, soft orchestral build, and light, almost tropical electronic touch.
“We’re falling apart, still we hold together,” sings featured vocalist Phoebe Ryan, all breathy whisper. “We’ve passed the end, so we chase forever. Guess this is all we know.”
Ryan is the latest in the Chainsmokers’ series of featured collaborators, following in the footsteps of young rising stars Halsey and Daya. A pop singer and songwriter herself, she released a viral Spotify hit last year and has written for the likes of Britney Spears.
As for the meaning behind the song? The back-and-forth of a conflicted love is pretty clear from the lyrics, but the boys took to Twitter to further elucidate the point. And yeah, their viral success is no fluke; this drop has already easily soared past two million views on YouTube. If the past is any indication, expect to hear it plenty more.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time