It’s not too often that hecklers wind up the heroes in any story. But golf fan and North Dakota native David Johnson stole the show during a Ryder Cup practice round at Hazeltine National Golf Club in Minnesota on Thursday.
After British Open champion and Olympic silver medalist Henrik Stenson heard Johnson trash talking Team Europe players, the Twin Cities Pioneer Press reported, he invited the fan onto the green to make a putt. As Johnson got ready to putt, Stenson’s teammate Justin Rose dropped a $100 bill next to the ball, heightening the drama.
Johnson, who was dressed in jeans at the time, drilled the ball strait into the hole. He gave a big fist pump after his success, and once he was back in the gallery, he joked he “blacked out a while ago,” according to the Pioneer Press.
“I closed my eyes, swallowed my puke, and hit the putt that happened to go in, so that was cool,” he said.
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space