Niall Horan may not be the most recognizable member of now-defunct One Direction, but the 23-year-old Irish singer has beat his former bandmates Harry and Liam to the punch in his solo music career, releasing a surprise single on Thursday to the absolute delight of devoted Directioners. “This Town” is a lush, guitar-forward ballad in the vein of the band’s earlier tearjerkers (“Little Things,” anyone?), with hints of Ed Sheeran in the small-town storytelling of the lyrics.
“Because if the whole world was watching I’d still dance with you / Drive highways and byways to be there with you,” Horan croons sincerely, and a legion of fans fall at his feet. Now we await his next move: just last night, fellow teen heartthrob Shawn Mendes confirmed the two were working on a collaboration. Listen below.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now