Niall Horan may not be the most recognizable member of now-defunct One Direction, but the 23-year-old Irish singer has beat his former bandmates Harry and Liam to the punch in his solo music career, releasing a surprise single on Thursday to the absolute delight of devoted Directioners. “This Town” is a lush, guitar-forward ballad in the vein of the band’s earlier tearjerkers (“Little Things,” anyone?), with hints of Ed Sheeran in the small-town storytelling of the lyrics.
“Because if the whole world was watching I’d still dance with you / Drive highways and byways to be there with you,” Horan croons sincerely, and a legion of fans fall at his feet. Now we await his next move: just last night, fellow teen heartthrob Shawn Mendes confirmed the two were working on a collaboration. Listen below.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time