(Reuters) – Swedish music-streaming service provider Spotify is in advanced talks to acquire German rival SoundCloud, the Financial Times reported on Wednesday, citing people briefed on the discussions.
SoundCloud’s founders and investors were exploring strategic options for the company, including a sale, that could value it at $1 billion, Bloomberg reported in July, citing people familiar with the matter. (http://bloom.bg/2cCRsOI)
The FT story did not provide more details. (http://on.ft.com/2cCSqKX)
Music-streaming companies have struggled to turn a profit amid rising competition from larger players such as Apple Inc .
Amazon.com Inc is also preparing to launch a standalone music-streaming subscription service, Reuters reported in June, citing people with knowledge of the matter.
SoundCloud declined to comment, while Spotify could not immediately be reached for comment. (Reporting by Ismail Shakil in Bengaluru; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila)
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science