Selena Gomez is the first celebrity to reach 100 million followers on Instagram, and she hasn’t even posted anything on her account since August.
The 23-year-old actress and singer, who is currently taking a break from social media and public life because of lupus side effects, which include anxiety and depression, ranked as the most followed person on Instagram in July with 89.2 million fans. By pushing into 100 million followers, she hit a new milestone.
The record number of followers cements Gomez as the reigning queen of Instagram, an unofficial title she’s held since July, when a photo she posted became the most liked on the platform, with more than 5.6 million likes.
Gomez outranks fellow Instagram celebrities like Taylor Swift (91.5 million followers), Beyoncé (85.4 million followers) and Kim Kardashian (83.7 million followers).
- The Biggest Moments From the Second Republican Debate
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time