Selena Gomez is the first celebrity to reach 100 million followers on Instagram, and she hasn’t even posted anything on her account since August.
The 23-year-old actress and singer, who is currently taking a break from social media and public life because of lupus side effects, which include anxiety and depression, ranked as the most followed person on Instagram in July with 89.2 million fans. By pushing into 100 million followers, she hit a new milestone.
The record number of followers cements Gomez as the reigning queen of Instagram, an unofficial title she’s held since July, when a photo she posted became the most liked on the platform, with more than 5.6 million likes.
Gomez outranks fellow Instagram celebrities like Taylor Swift (91.5 million followers), Beyoncé (85.4 million followers) and Kim Kardashian (83.7 million followers).
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Mahita Gajanan at email@example.com