From hurricanes and blizzards to blistering hot days and massive tornadoes, 2016 offered weather photographs ranging from the devastating to the surprisingly beautiful.
Hurricane Matthew left a path of destruction from the Caribbean to the Southeast U.S. Dry conditions mixed with breezy winds and blistering hot temperatures led to severely destructive wildfires in California, with flames blazing across thousands of acres of land, destroying homes and forests.
Despite some of the devastation we have faced, there were still moments that brought joy and beauty. From cooling off in a fountain on a hot day to building a snowman in the middle of Times Square in New York City, TIME takes a look back at the most memorable moments in weather from this year.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time