The first trailer for the upcoming movie Fences is just under two minutes, but still packs an emotional punch with the brief time it has — which is no doubt due to the combined star power of Viola Davis and Denzel Washington.
The film, which is based on the August Wilson play of the same name, takes place in 1950s Pittsburgh and centers around a retired baseball player named Troy (Washington), his wife, Rose (Davis), and their son Cory (Jovan Adepo); infidelity, racial discrimination, and family dynamics are all examined through the lens of Troy and his family.
In the clip, Troy and his son share an emotionally charged conversation about their relationship, which eventually ends in an intense exchange between Troy and Rose about the life that they share together.
“It’s not easy for me to admit I’ve been standing in the same place for 18 years,” he says in the closing moments of the clip.
“Well I’ve been standing with you. I gave 18 years of my life to stand in the same spot as you,” Rose responds.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Why We Can't Get Over the Roman Empire
- The Final Season of Netflix’s Sex Education Sends Off a Beloved Cast in Style
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- The Case for Mediocrity
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time