Donald Trump gave Hillary Clinton a C+ grade for her debate performance, but declined to give himself a score.
The Republican presidential contender appeared on Fox and Friends the morning after the debate to give his thoughts on the first presidential debate at Hofstra University on Monday night. Most pundits have hailed Clinton as the narrow winner of a closely-fought contest. Her performance improved as the night went on, Trump acknowledged, but only because of the moderators. “I thought she was very bad in the first half when they were asking normal questions,” he said, “and when they were asking bad questions she did better.”
Trump said he had planned to hit Clinton on her husband Bill Clinton’s infidelities but had declined as he didn’t want to do it in front of their daughter Chelsea. “See, I do have a heart,” he said.
The Republican’s repeated sniffing was noted by many viewers on social media, including onetime Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean who speculated Trump might have been on drugs. The real estate mogul blamed the technology and said his health was not to blame. “No, no sniffles. The mic was very bad,” he said. “I had a problem with a microphone that didn’t work … I wonder, was it set up that way on purpose?”
In the debate hall the microphone did indeed appear to have some kind of error, though it was not picked up by TV cameras.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement