How do you make a monument stand out in a city teeming with must-see attractions? By making it interactive. The Vessel, which will open in 2018 as the centerpiece of New York City’s new Hudson Yards development, comprises 154 bronzed-steel staircases that rise 15 stories in the air and intersect at 80 landings. The goal is to “lift people up,” designer Thomas Heatherwick has said. He meant it literally: there’s an inclined glass elevator to the top of the beehive-like structure for visitors who aren’t able to climb the nearly 2,500 stairs.
This appears in the October 03, 2016 issue of TIME.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement