Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson was hit by a pie in the face during an event at a local high school Wednesday evening, leading to a short altercation, according to reports.
Police arrested Sean Thompson, 32, on felony charges of assaulting a public official at a benefit dinner. The assailant pulled Johnson by the arm to remove him from a conversation with dinner guests before throwing the pie in his face, according the mayor’s office. An altercation ensued before police restrained Thompson.
“Let me be clear, the mayor was assaulted tonight,” spokeswoman Crystal Strait told the Sacramento Bee. “He is home with his family…The whole thing is just shocking.”
The suspected attacker’s motive was not immediately made clear.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List