Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson was hit by a pie in the face during an event at a local high school Wednesday evening, leading to a short altercation, according to reports.
Police arrested Sean Thompson, 32, on felony charges of assaulting a public official at a benefit dinner. The assailant pulled Johnson by the arm to remove him from a conversation with dinner guests before throwing the pie in his face, according the mayor’s office. An altercation ensued before police restrained Thompson.
“Let me be clear, the mayor was assaulted tonight,” spokeswoman Crystal Strait told the Sacramento Bee. “He is home with his family…The whole thing is just shocking.”
The suspected attacker’s motive was not immediately made clear.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now