George Clooney and Brad Pitt are longtime friends who met on the set of Ocean’s 11 in 2001 and have been merrily playing pranks on each other ever since. Despite their long history together, Clooney was just as shocked as the rest of us to hear the news that Angelina Jolie had filed for divorce from Pitt, her partner of almost twelve years.
A CNN reporter caught Clooney on the way out a roundtable meeting with President Obama on the state of the refugee crisis. The reporter apologized for asking Clooney about the divorce in light of the U.N. meeting’s urgent topic, when he questioned Clooney about his feelings about Pitt and Jolie. Clooney, however, had not heard the news. “What happened?” he asked. The reporter clarified that the couple was getting divorced and Clooney said, “I didn’t know that. Wow.”
“I feel very sorry then,” he said, clearly grappling with the news. “That’s a sad story and unfortunate for a family. It’s an unfortunate story about a family. I feel very sorry to hear that.” He then added: “This is the first I’ve heard of it.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org