Riot police had to be called to a suburb of southeast London Monday after around 100 schoolchildren took part in a brawl involving knives, sticks, bats and concrete slabs.
The Telegraph reports that police dogs and a helicopter were deployed to contain the children — many in school uniform and some as young as seven — who conducted a running melee on the streets of Bexley.
“It’s a miracle nobody was killed,” a local bar owner told the Telegraph.
The standoff reportedly lasted for two hours. Seven youths were arrested and two taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Locals believe the clash was race and gang motivated. However, local police said they were still trying to establish the facts.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.