Burke Ramsey, the brother of JonBenet Ramsey—a child beauty queen whose murder nearly 20 years ago is still shrouded in mystery—believes his 6-year-old sister was killed by a “pedophile” who was a fan of pageants.
Burke, who was 9 when his sister died and has not publicly spoken about her until recently, insisted his family had no part in the little girl’s slaying, although many have long suspected that he and his parents were behind the 1996 crime.
“It blows my mind. What more evidence do you need that we didn’t do it?” Burke told Dr. Phil, according to the final segment of the talk show host’s exclusive three-part interview. The 29-year-old added that it was “probably some pedophile in the pageant audience” who “saw her at one of the pageants.”
JonBenet held the title of Little Miss Colorado and National Tiny Miss Beauty before she was found beaten and strangled to death in the basement of her Boulder, Co. home around Christmas.
Burke also told Dr. Phil that he sometimes speaks to his slain sister, telling her: “Hey, thanks for looking out for me … Hope you’re having fun up there, because I’m taking some test.”
He said he “keeps the hope alive” that her murder will be solved in his lifetime. “I don’t know, but you got to never give up,” he said.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms