A U.K. wildlife park has offered to relocate Pizza the “lonely” polar bear from an aquarium in a China mall to give him better living conditions.
Pizza made headlines earlier this year when people took note of his unnatural tank and began calling him the “world’s saddest polar bear” (though that’s hardly an objective title, there are a number of photos of the bear lying still in its small display case). The animal welfare charity Animals Asia began a petition to shut down the Grandview Center in Guangzhou where Pizza lives, and it’s received over 575,000 signatures.
Yorkshire Wildlife Park in Doncaster, England offered to bring Pizza to live in its specialized polar bear environment. The aquarium has not responded to the public proposition, the BBC reports. The park did not offer the aquarium any money for Pizza, said Animals Asia, out of concern that Grandview would use the money to purchase other animals.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate