A U.K. wildlife park has offered to relocate Pizza the “lonely” polar bear from an aquarium in a China mall to give him better living conditions.
Pizza made headlines earlier this year when people took note of his unnatural tank and began calling him the “world’s saddest polar bear” (though that’s hardly an objective title, there are a number of photos of the bear lying still in its small display case). The animal welfare charity Animals Asia began a petition to shut down the Grandview Center in Guangzhou where Pizza lives, and it’s received over 575,000 signatures.
Yorkshire Wildlife Park in Doncaster, England offered to bring Pizza to live in its specialized polar bear environment. The aquarium has not responded to the public proposition, the BBC reports. The park did not offer the aquarium any money for Pizza, said Animals Asia, out of concern that Grandview would use the money to purchase other animals.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science