The Emmys are television’s biggest night, which means celebrating the people you see every day on the small screen in one big show. Comedian Jimmy Kimmel hosted the awards ceremony this year, but before the show even got started, it was clear this was going to be one for the books. The kids from Stranger Things kids kicked things off with a precocious rendition of “Uptown Funk” on the Emmys stage during the pre-show. And during the actual ceremony, not just one, but four people quoted Jay Z’s “Public Service Announcement” in their acceptance speeches. The 2016 Emmys were made for reactions and the Internet was full of them.
Here, we’ve rounded up the best web reactions to the 2016 Emmys, ranging from hot takes to memes.
On the Stranger Things kids basically being squad goals and performing the best rendition of “Uptown Funk” ever during the pre-show:
On the very public support winner Kate McKinnon received from lady bosses:
On the sudden popularity of Jay Z’s “Public Service Announcement” line, “Got the hottest chick in the game wearing my chain.” The lyric became the de facto way to show affection after four winners used it in their speeches:
On the inadvertent Friends reunion of Joey Tribbiani and Ross Gellar:
On the Emmys being one giant Taylor Swift subtweet:
- Inside the Death of a Rural Daycare
- Exclusive: Inside Ukraine’s Secret Effort to Train Pilots for U.S. Fighter Jets
- TIME’s First Interview in the Metaverse: How a Filmmaker Made a Movie and Fell in Love in VR
- How The Inflation Reduction Act Will Spur a New Climate Tech Ecosystem
- Climate-Conscious Architects Want Europe To Build Less
- Social Media Companies Like TikTok Hope to Fight Election Misinformation. Experts Say Their Plans Aren’t Enough
- How I Got My Students to Stop Staring at Screens
- Author Mimi Zhu Is Relearning What It Means to Love After Trauma