The Emmys are television’s biggest night, which means celebrating the people you see every day on the small screen in one big show. Comedian Jimmy Kimmel hosted the awards ceremony this year, but before the show even got started, it was clear this was going to be one for the books. The kids from Stranger Things kids kicked things off with a precocious rendition of “Uptown Funk” on the Emmys stage during the pre-show. And during the actual ceremony, not just one, but four people quoted Jay Z’s “Public Service Announcement” in their acceptance speeches. The 2016 Emmys were made for reactions and the Internet was full of them.
Here, we’ve rounded up the best web reactions to the 2016 Emmys, ranging from hot takes to memes.
On the Stranger Things kids basically being squad goals and performing the best rendition of “Uptown Funk” ever during the pre-show:
On the very public support winner Kate McKinnon received from lady bosses:
On the sudden popularity of Jay Z’s “Public Service Announcement” line, “Got the hottest chick in the game wearing my chain.” The lyric became the de facto way to show affection after four winners used it in their speeches:
On the inadvertent Friends reunion of Joey Tribbiani and Ross Gellar:
On the Emmys being one giant Taylor Swift subtweet:
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.