The Emmys are television’s biggest night, which means celebrating the people you see every day on the small screen in one big show. Comedian Jimmy Kimmel hosted the awards ceremony this year, but before the show even got started, it was clear this was going to be one for the books. The kids from Stranger Things kids kicked things off with a precocious rendition of “Uptown Funk” on the Emmys stage during the pre-show. And during the actual ceremony, not just one, but four people quoted Jay Z’s “Public Service Announcement” in their acceptance speeches. The 2016 Emmys were made for reactions and the Internet was full of them.
Here, we’ve rounded up the best web reactions to the 2016 Emmys, ranging from hot takes to memes.
On the Stranger Things kids basically being squad goals and performing the best rendition of “Uptown Funk” ever during the pre-show:
On the very public support winner Kate McKinnon received from lady bosses:
On the sudden popularity of Jay Z’s “Public Service Announcement” line, “Got the hottest chick in the game wearing my chain.” The lyric became the de facto way to show affection after four winners used it in their speeches:
On the inadvertent Friends reunion of Joey Tribbiani and Ross Gellar:
On the Emmys being one giant Taylor Swift subtweet:
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve