“Many have asked, who is to blame for Donald Trump? And I’ll tell you who. He’s sitting right there,” said Jimmy Kimmel, the host of this year’s Emmy Awards, as he pointed to a man in the audience during his opening monologue. “That guy. Mark Burnett, the man who brought us Celebrity Apprentice.”
People booed as the camera panned to Burnett, a reality TV show producer, who took the joke in stride and laughed.
“Thanks to Mark Burnett, we don’t have to watch reality shows because we’re living in one,” said Kimmel. “If Donald Trump gets elected, and he builds that wall, the first person we’re throwing over is Mark Burnett.”
Burnett has produced shows like The Apprentice, Survivor, and Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating