“Many have asked, who is to blame for Donald Trump? And I’ll tell you who. He’s sitting right there,” said Jimmy Kimmel, the host of this year’s Emmy Awards, as he pointed to a man in the audience during his opening monologue. “That guy. Mark Burnett, the man who brought us Celebrity Apprentice.”
People booed as the camera panned to Burnett, a reality TV show producer, who took the joke in stride and laughed.
“Thanks to Mark Burnett, we don’t have to watch reality shows because we’re living in one,” said Kimmel. “If Donald Trump gets elected, and he builds that wall, the first person we’re throwing over is Mark Burnett.”
Burnett has produced shows like The Apprentice, Survivor, and Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms