“Many have asked, who is to blame for Donald Trump? And I’ll tell you who. He’s sitting right there,” said Jimmy Kimmel, the host of this year’s Emmy Awards, as he pointed to a man in the audience during his opening monologue. “That guy. Mark Burnett, the man who brought us Celebrity Apprentice.”
People booed as the camera panned to Burnett, a reality TV show producer, who took the joke in stride and laughed.
“Thanks to Mark Burnett, we don’t have to watch reality shows because we’re living in one,” said Kimmel. “If Donald Trump gets elected, and he builds that wall, the first person we’re throwing over is Mark Burnett.”
Burnett has produced shows like The Apprentice, Survivor, and Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color