Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton released a statement highlighting her plans to defeat terrorism following the bombings in New York City and New Jersey and a stabbing attack in Minnesota this weekend.
The FBI is investigating the stabbing spree in a Minnesota mall, in which 9 people were injured, as a “potential act of terrorism” after an ISIS-run news agency claimed the attacker was a “soldier of the Islamic State,” the New York Times reported.
“ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack in Minnesota, and this should steel our resolve to protect our country and defeat ISIS and other terrorist groups,” Clinton said in a statement.
Commending first responders’ bravery after the attacks, the presidential candidate laid out her plans to defeat terrorist groups, which includes “launching an intelligence surge to help identify and thwart attacks before they can be carried out,” working with Silicon Valley to “counter propaganda and recruitment efforts online” and stopping lone wolf attackers.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio called the explosion in Manhattan that injured 29 “an intentional act,” but said authorities are not yet aware of the motive behind it at a news conference on Sunday.
“America has faced threats before, and our resilience in the face of them only makes us stronger,” Clinton said. “I am confident we will once again choose resolve over fear.”
Clinton’s Republican rival, Donald Trump, tweeted that he wishes his “warmest regards, best wishes and condolences” to the victims of the New York City bombing.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out