These are independent reviews of the products mentioned, but TIME receives a commission when purchases are made through affiliate links at no additional cost to the purchaser.
Plano, Texas is about to get a very unusual addition to its culinary scene: a restaurant is opening up inside the town’s Walmart to serve deep-fried State-Fair-themed treats all year round.
The entrepreneurial chef behind the new food endeavor is one Isaac Rousso, who has been a regular finalist and winner at the Texas State Fair over the years for his kitchen creations like Cookie Fries, Smoky Bacon Margaritas, Deep Fried Cuban Rolls, and Fried Pop Tarts, as the Dallas Morning News reports.
Depending on the new restaurant’s success in Plano, Walmart will consider opening up outlets of State Fair Treats in other locations across the country, meaning that dangerously caloric dishes like funnel cake fries and deep-fried hash browns stuffed with bacon and cheese might make it to a retail stop near you. In the face of the national trend for healthy foods, this might seem like an unexpected development — but Walmart has been bullish on retro snacks, recently adding deep-fried Hostess Twinkies to their freezer section. State Fair Treats sounds like a natural addition to this nostalgic menu.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time