When Doctor Strange hits theaters Nov. 4, audiences will get to see Benedict Cumberbatch transform from neurosurgeon Dr. Stephen Strange into Sorcerer Supreme Doctor Strange, his superhero alter ego. In a new featurette released by Marvel Entertainment Thursday, the Sherlock star speaks about the metamorphosis his character undergoes when he begins to train in the mystic arts with the Ancient One (Tilda Swinton).
“Strange is incredibly arrogant, brilliant, sort of extraordinary. And his need to control fates, to control destiny and, in particular death, has brought him to the height of his profession as a neurosurgeon,” he says. “[His training] brings out this spiritual dimension which he never knew was possible and he soon realizes he’s potentially someone who can help on a grander scale than he’d ever imagined actually existed.”
Watch the full clip below.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms