When Doctor Strange hits theaters Nov. 4, audiences will get to see Benedict Cumberbatch transform from neurosurgeon Dr. Stephen Strange into Sorcerer Supreme Doctor Strange, his superhero alter ego. In a new featurette released by Marvel Entertainment Thursday, the Sherlock star speaks about the metamorphosis his character undergoes when he begins to train in the mystic arts with the Ancient One (Tilda Swinton).
“Strange is incredibly arrogant, brilliant, sort of extraordinary. And his need to control fates, to control destiny and, in particular death, has brought him to the height of his profession as a neurosurgeon,” he says. “[His training] brings out this spiritual dimension which he never knew was possible and he soon realizes he’s potentially someone who can help on a grander scale than he’d ever imagined actually existed.”
Watch the full clip below.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List