Why buy lawn furniture when you can grow it? That’s the idea behind TERRA!, a line of cardboard skeletons from Italy-based Studio Nucleo that can be filled with dirt, covered with grass seed and–in as little as two months–transformed into backyard seating. The frame ships flat with assembly instructions, and prices start at $280 for an adult-size armchair like the one below. This is a streamlined version of a product the studio introduced in 2000 but had to scrap because of high production costs; components are now laser-cut to be smaller and easier to assemble.
This appears in the September 26, 2016 issue of TIME.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears