Why buy lawn furniture when you can grow it? That’s the idea behind TERRA!, a line of cardboard skeletons from Italy-based Studio Nucleo that can be filled with dirt, covered with grass seed and–in as little as two months–transformed into backyard seating. The frame ships flat with assembly instructions, and prices start at $280 for an adult-size armchair like the one below. This is a streamlined version of a product the studio introduced in 2000 but had to scrap because of high production costs; components are now laser-cut to be smaller and easier to assemble.
This appears in the September 26, 2016 issue of TIME.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State