An Alabama teenager murdered his parents after getting in trouble over trashing the house during a raucous party, authorities said.
Jesse Holton, 17, denied fatally shooting his parents, Mike and April Holton, and was emotionless after his arrest, Elmore County Sheriff Bill Franklin told the Associated Press on Tuesday.
The killings came after Holton apparently upset his parents Sunday when they discovered their son had thrown a party that included drugs and left the house a mess, according to the AP. His father, a former mayor of an Alabama town, had handcuffed his troublesome son in an attempt to discipline him, the AP reports.
“They had had problems with him in the past,” Franklin said, adding that Holton will be charged as an adult.
The high school senior has been charged with murdering his father and is expected to be also charged in the death of his mother, pending autopsy results, according to People.
“He hasn’t shown any emotion at all. Most people would be bawling their eyes out if their parents had been killed,” Franklin said.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time