Juan Mendez, 23, was fatally shot in the chest on Saturday after musing out loud whether a bulletproof vest he had just put on “still worked.”
The man’s cousin reportedly pulled out a gun and said “Let’s see,” stated a Tampa Police report cited by the Guardian.
Alexandro Garibaldi, 24, initially told police that Mendez was shot by a rogue bullet. However, a witness later came forward with a different version of events, and a damaged bulletproof vest was found in the house, the Guardian reports.
Garibaldi is being held without bail on a charge of manslaughter and felon in possession of weapon.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World