The catastrophic flooding in their home state over the past few weeks has driven the two to team up and contribute to rebuilding the effected communities. More than 60,000 homes have been impacted, and the Red Cross estimates relief efforts will cost $30 million.
In a short video shared by DeGeneres, Spears explains that she’s donating a $125,000 emergency-response vehicle to the cause. DeGeneres, meanwhile, connected with a teacher and principal of a school that was flooded with more than 2 ft. of water — and is matching Spears’ gift, with $125,000 direct to the middle school for their rebuilding efforts.
This isn’t the first donation that Spears has made, however; she also auctioned off the chance to meet her and the dress she wore to her appearance on MTV’s Video Music Awards, sharing the proceeds with the Red Cross.
Taylor Swift, meanwhile, donated $1 million to Louisiana.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time