President Barack Obama is a parasite, officially.
Scientists have named a tiny flatworm after the commander-in-chief, insisting it’s an honor. Thomas Platt, a retired biology professor at Saint Mary’s College in Indiana, told the Associated Press he discovered the 2-inch parasite and named it Baracktrema obamai because it reminds him of the President—in a good way.
“It’s long. It’s thin. And it’s cool as hell,” he said Thursday. Platt added that Baracktrema obamai, which lives in turtles’ blood, are “phenomenally incredibly resilient organisms.”
The study about the new parasite was recently published in the Journal of Parasitology.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate