President Barack and First Lady Michelle Obama landed the October cover of Essence for a special issue before they leave the White House in January.
The Time Inc. publication interviewed the Obamas about their time in the White House and what’s next for the family. Michelle Obama also appears on the October cover of InStyle.
“I can unequivocally say that America is better off now than we were when we came into office. By almost every economic measure, we’re better off,” President Obama told Essence. “But having said that, we still have a lot of work to do.”
You can find the First Couple smiling at you from newsstands when the issue becomes available on Sept. 9. Until then, enjoy the preview of the special edition cover here.
- Workers Are Furious. Their Unions Are Scrambling to Catch Up
- What the Facebook Whistleblower Did to the Company's Stock in 6 Weeks
- Photos from Migrants' Desperate Journeys to the U.S. Border
- Emily Ratajkowski: How I Learned to Let Go
- Afghanistan's Female Students Were Banned from Studying. Now Some Are Finding New Ways to Learn
- The 'Safe Supply' Movement Aims to Curb Drug Deaths Linked to the Opioid Crisis
- The 19 Most Underrated Movies on Netflix
- By Ending Legacy Admissions, Amherst Hopes to Change the Makeup of Its Student Body