President Barack and First Lady Michelle Obama landed the October cover of Essence for a special issue before they leave the White House in January.
The Time Inc. publication interviewed the Obamas about their time in the White House and what’s next for the family. Michelle Obama also appears on the October cover of InStyle.
“I can unequivocally say that America is better off now than we were when we came into office. By almost every economic measure, we’re better off,” President Obama told Essence. “But having said that, we still have a lot of work to do.”
You can find the First Couple smiling at you from newsstands when the issue becomes available on Sept. 9. Until then, enjoy the preview of the special edition cover here.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Julia Zorthian at email@example.com