Inclusion and unity were the themes for the Rio Paralympics’ opening ceremony on Wednesday night, but one country’s action highlighted what’s been excluded from these games.
The delegation from Belarus, whose Paralympic Committee chair had reportedly suggested last month that he would stand with Russia’s banned athletes, was seen carrying the flag of Russia when it entered the Maracana stadium during the parade of athletes, reports The Guardian.
According to the Guardian, the flag in question was subsequently confiscated, and the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) was said to be considering its next steps.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization