Most people would run for cover when someone breaks into their place with a weapon in hand.
But a 6-year-old girl in Auckland instead stood up and ran toward an alleged robber breaking into her family’s store wielding an ax, reports the New Zealand Herald.
That moment of bravery was caught on CCTV footage, which shows Sarah Patel pushing the leg of one of the attackers, dressed in black, who was trying to hit an employee after allegedly breaking into the shop with axes and crowbars on Monday afternoon.
She only turned and ran when she spotted the ax in the man’s hand. Her grandfather then escorted her to safety.
Suhail Patel, Sarah’s father, told the paper that he was “very fortunate she didn’t get hurt,” when he saw his daughter’s courageous act caught on video afterwards. She had thought that the robbers were attacking him, he told the Herald.
Mother Nashrin Patel drove in pursuit of the robbers’ getaway car just so she could let police know their whereabouts.
Local police allege that the attackers, six in total, broke a glass cabinet, took bags of cell phones from the store, and injured an employee in the face during their heist. Five people, all teenagers, are facing charges, the Herald reports.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.