A South Carolina father accidentally fired his gun Thursday evening while trying to make it “safe,” killing his 2-year-old daughter and injuring his 4-year-old daughter.
While “attempting to make the weapon safe,” the 30-year-old father accidentally fired the gun, striking his hand and both his daughters in the upper body, the Richland County sheriff’s department said in a statement.
Two-year-old Heaven Miller died from the gunshot wound, the sheriff said. Both the father and his 4-year-old daughter suffered non-life-threatening injuries. The father was cleaning his gun on the family’s porch when it went off after he sat on it, the State newspaper reported.
The sheriff’s department is investigating the shooting as accidental.
“Right now, it just looks like an accidental shooting,” Sheriff Leon Lott told the State.
The girls’ pregnant mother was at the house during the shooting, the State reported. She was taken to the hospital but the baby was not born.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List