In a 2015 interview with France’s Clique TV, Justin Bieber revealed that his top five rappers are Tupac, Mase, Nas, Biggie and Eminem. And during his Thursday appearance on BBC Radio 1’s Live Lounge, he turned to one of those favorites for inspiration, breaking out an acoustic cover of Pac’s “Thugz Mansion.”
Biebs performed the stripped-down version of the hip-hop classic with the help of a single guitar player, much to the surprise of the show’s host. “Something I thought I’d never say on national radio — Justin Bieber covering Tupac’s ‘Thugz Mansion’ in the Live Lounge,” she said.
The session’s only hiccup occurred when the Purpose artist sang “Cold Water” — his recent collaboration with Major Lazer — and seemed to forget a few of the song’s lyrics. “I don’t usually get nervous but tonight I was thrown off and I was. Sorry about that. Really wanted to be my best. Hope u all had fun,” he tweeted afterward.
Watch him perform both songs below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Megan McCluskey at firstname.lastname@example.org