Donald Trump is scheduled to give a speech in Phoenix on Wednesday, shortly after visiting Mexico.
The Republican presidential nominee is expected to focus the address on his immigration policy, which has faced scrutiny in the past. Trump may “clarify” his previous statements in an attempt to reach Hispanic voters.
Trump paid Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto a visit in Mexico City earlier Wednesday. The billionaire has previously said that he was going to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border that he said Mexico would have to pay for—but skirted around the assertion during a press conference in Mexico City.
After Trump and Peña Nieto read prepared statements, Trump said he discussed the plan to build a wall, but that he didn’t bring up his repeated promise that Mexico would pay for it. “Who pays for the wall? We didn’t discuss that,” Trump said, after describing their conversation as “a very substantive, direct and constructive exchange of ideas.”
Peña Nieto later said he told Trump Mexico would not pay for the building of the wall. Hours after their meeting, Peña Nieto tweeted: “At the beginning of the conversation with Donald Trump, I made it clear that Mexico would not pay for the wall.”
Watch a live stream of Trump’s speech in Phoenix above.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org