Warning: This post contains potential spoilers for Star Wars: Episode VIII and Episode IX.
The 64-year-old actor — who plays Luke Skywalker in the space fantasy saga — shared a video on Twitter Tuesday in which he shaved off his beard as part of a promotion for his upcoming show Pop Culture Quest. However, given that this facial hair was a part of his seasoned Jedi look in The Force Awakens, Hamill captioned the clip with a galaxy far, far away-themed clause.
Does this mean everyone can rest easy knowing that Luke survives the events of Episode VIII? Not necessarily. Luke is a powerful Jedi, so if he does die in the eighth movie, he could always appear in the ninth as a Force ghost — a plot device used with characters such as Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker in the past.
Of course, this could also just be a Kit Harington-style misdirect by Hamill to keep fans off the scent of his true fate.
- Introducing the TIME100 Climate List
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time