If you only read one thing: The 2016 election never ceases to surprise. Last night Donald Trump announced a hastily planned trip to Mexico Wednesday to meet with President Enrique Peña Nieto. The pair are unlikely “partners,” with Trump frequently maligning Mexico in his stump speech and Peña Nieto previously likening him to Hitler and Mussolini. The meeting is a gamble for both men, who face deep unpopularity in their home countries, and for whom a wild sparring match could be just as politically advantageous as a staid diplomatic visit. Trump aides are hoping to show he is a “leader” on his second foreign trip as a candidate. (The first being his visit to open his golf course in Scotland in June.) But it also comes as Trump is set to “clarify” his positions on immigration Wednesday evening in Phoenix and as he seeks to broaden his appeal to Hispanic voters.
Hillary Clinton will be hitting pause on a streak of fundraising events Wednesday as she returns to the trail to deliver a speech critical of Trump’s foreign policy vision. Clinton will cite her commitment to U.S. alliances and maintaining a military presence around the world as areas where she deviates from Trump, while highlighting the growing list of GOP foreign policy officials who have endorsed her candidacy.
Team Clinton prematurely celebrates. More discovered emails raise questions about Clinton’s use of her private server. And the Democratic nominee dances.
Here are your must reads:
Donald Trump to Meet With Mexico’s President Wednesday
Just hours before a major immigration address [TIME]
State Department Says 30-Odd Hillary Clinton Emails Could Be Linked to Benghazi
Messages were among the 15,000 emails turned over by the FBI [Wall Street Journal]
Clinton Camp Thinks Trump Fell for Old Trick
But isn’t it too soon to celebrate? [Politico]
Clinton Plans to Slam Trump as a Dangerous Isolationist in American Legion Speech
As Trump makes his second foreign visit as a candidate [Washington Post]
“This is the first time I’ve paid to hear myself sing.” — Paul McCartney at a Hillary Clinton fundraiser Tuesday. He also danced with the candidate.
“I will concede Debbie Wasserman Shultz is a corporate stooge. There you go.” — Tim Canova, the primary challenger to the former DNC chair on losing his bid Tuesday
Bits and Bites
FBI Will Release Documents on Hillary Clinton Email Server Investigation [Associated Press]
Tim Kaine Presses Donald Trump on Health, Mocking a Doctor’s Letter [New York Times]
Latino influx is upending GOP politics in the battleground of Florida [Washington Post]
- The Real Reason Florida Wants to Ban AP African-American Studies, According to an Architect of the Course
- Column: Tyre Nichols' Killing Is The Result of a Diseased Culture
- Without Evusheld, Immunocompromised People Are on Their Own Against COVID-19
- Here Are All the Movies and TV Shows That Make Up the New DCU
- TikTok's 'De-Influencing' Trend Is Here to Tell You What Stuff You Don't Need to Buy
- Column: America Goes About Juvenile Crime Sentencing All Wrong
- Why Your Tax Refund May Be Lower This Year
- Brazil Wants to Abandon a 34,000-Ton Ship at Sea. It Would be an Environmental Disaster
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in January 2023