Pentagon officials allowed their employees to use government credit cards at strip clubs and casinos, without any disciplinary action, according to a new report released Tuesday.
The report from the Department of Defense’s inspector general found that management did not take the correct course of action after finding out their workers used government credit cards for non-work related purposes.
“DoD management did not take appropriate action when notified that cardholders potentially misused their travel card at casinos and adult entertainment establishments,” the report said. “Specifically, DoD management and travel card officials did not perform adequate reviews for the cardholders reviewed and did not take action to eliminate additional misuse.”
Department of Defense workers spent nearly $100,000 at strip clubs and “adult entertainment establishments,” and almost $1 million at casinos, according to the report, which cited a May 2015 audit. At the request of the Senate Committee on Armed Services, the inspector general further investigated the matter.
According to the report, out of a sample of 30 government cardholders, 22 sought and received reimbursements on 131 vouchers totaling $8,544. Furthermore, officials did not consider the “security implications of improper personal use of the travel card,” the report found.
The oversight occurred because officials did not emphasize proper use of the travel card and management did not know what disciplinary action to take, according to the report.
Because the spending was allowed, the Department of Defense had less money available for work-related travel expenses and experienced potential national security vulnerabilities.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy