Gene Wilder, star of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and comedy classics like Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles, died Monday at the age of 83.
A comedy icon, Wilder was known for playing neurotic characters caught up in hysterical schemes. Following the announcement of his death, celebrities mourned Wilder on social media.
Mel Brooks, the director behind many of Wilder’s classic comedies, tweeted Monday, writing, “Gene Wilder-One of the truly great talents of our time. He blessed every film we did with his magic & he blessed me with his friendship.”
Other comedians and actors joined in paying homage to Wilder, with some quoting his lines from various films.
Others shared photos and memories of the joy Wilder brought to them through his performances.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time