While the MTV Video Music Awards were chock full of show-stopping moments like Drake and Rihanna’s kiss and Beyoncé’s performance of the entire Lemonade album, one of the highlights of the night was a more pared-down (but just as powerful) offering from Alicia Keys.
The “In Common” singer took the stage, bare-faced and beautiful, to deliver a moving tribute to Martin Luther King, Jr. on the 53rd anniversary of his “I Have a Dream” speech, in the form of a poem. The singer’s poem, which includes the lines, “Maybe we could love somebody/Maybe we could care a little more” later turned into an a capella song.
See her full performance below.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time