The MTV Video Music Awards have always been a hotbed of activity when it comes to legendary moments (it was, after all, the place where the infamous feud of our generation began) and the 2016 ceremony was no exception.
Britney Spears performed on the stage for the first time in nearly a decade, Rihanna took home the lauded Vanguard award (and a kiss from Drake, naturally,) Kanye gave a speech — and a surprise video premiere, and of course, Beyoncé slayed us all within an inch of our lives by performing not only one song, but basically her entire visual album, Lemonade.
So suffice it to say that the Internet may have slightly lost its collective minds during this awards shows; here, the 10 moments that had the web freaking out during the VMAs.
On Beyoncé blessing us all by performing her entire Lemonade album and being the ultimate queen of the VMAs:
On Beyoncé bringing Blue Ivy to walk the pre-show:
Notably, the singer posed with Lezley McSpadden, Gwen Carr, Wanda Johnson and Sybrina Fulton, whose sons Mike Brown, Eric Garner, Oscar Grant and Trayvon Martin, respectively were killed by police officers.
On Michael Phelps listening to Future while he made the now-infamous #PhelpsFace:
On Michael Phelps’ reaction to Jimmy Fallon’s jokes about Ryan Lochte:
On Chance the Rapper’s parallel sartorial choices to the Mario Bros.:
On Drake’s unrequited love for Rihanna, who couldn’t be more indifferent:
On Desiigner’s very emotive reaction watching Future perform during the awards show:
On Kanye’s very long speech where amid his love of artistic heroes, he also reveals his penchant for white outfits and calls out to his ex, Amber Rose:
On Teyana Taylor and Iman Shumpert in Kanye’s debut of his new “Fade” video:
On Britney’s return to the VMA stage and denying G-Eazy an onstage kiss:
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy