The first award of the 2016 VMAs Sunday night went to Drake, who won Best Hip Hop Video for his much memed “Hotline Bling” video. But the Canadian rapper couldn’t collect his Moon Man because, as presenter Puff Daddy explained, he was “stuck in traffic.”
Following the no-show, Twitter was abuzz with reactions to what many deemed a lame excuse, with some pointing out Drake’s history of not attending award shows, and others joking that traffic was preferable to a) having to sit through what was turning out to be an uninspired evening and b) having to perform after Beyoncé’s fierce medley, arguably the first moment to elevate the evening to the realm of inspired, and inarguably a tough act to follow. We’ll just have to see if he makes it in time for Video of the Year—though stiff competition from Bey, Ye, Adele and the Biebs may see him still rounding the corner of 34th St. by the time that award comes up.
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was