Police charged two men with murder for fatally shooting Nykea Aldridge, a cousin of basketball star Dwyane Wade, on Friday while she was pushing her baby in a stroller and walking to register her children for school.
Brothers Darwin, 26, and Derren Sorells, 22, were charged in the shooting, Chicago Police Department spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said. Guglielmi said on Twitter that Derren Sorells is a “documented member of the Gangster Disciples” and is on parole, while Darwin Sorells is a co-conspirator and also on parole for a gun charge.
Aldridge, 32, was not the intended target in the shooting, police said. The baby in the stroller was unharmed.
“Another act of senseless gun violence. 4 kids lost their mom for NO REASON,” Wade who recently signed with the Chicago Bulls, wrote on Twitter.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World