Alicia Vikander and Michael Fassbender may be willing to discuss their characters’ marriage in their upcoming movie The Light Between Oceans, but when it comes to their real-life relationship, the couple prefers to keep things on the down low.
During a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly, the two actors — who began dating while filming Light — spoke about why they don’t like to discuss their ongoing romance. “I’m not going to talk about my private life with a total stranger, unless I feel like I need to. Why would I?,” Fassbender told EW. “I might have been curious about actors’ lives when I was growing up. That’s human nature. We’re all curious about a lot of things. But my curiosity didn’t obligate them to tell me.”
Fassbender went on to explain that he thinks knowing too much about an actor detracts from the movie watching experience. “It’s the worst thing if you’re sitting there in the theater, going, ‘Oh, that’s the guy who dates this person and likes to do this in the morning and that in the afternoon,'” he said. “Then you’re just watching a brand, as opposed to an actor.”
Vikander agreed with him, adding, “I remember in Sweden, I used to set the alarm for 2 or 3 a.m. and get up with my mom to watch the Oscars. But for me, that was the same as the stories I saw up on the movie screen. Things have changed with social media and technology, but I still feel it helps when I know less about the actors I look up to. That’s what I mean — I love the mystery behind it all.”
Read more at EW.com.
- How an Alleged Spy Balloon Derailed an Important U.S.-China Meeting
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- Column: Elon Musk Should Not Be in Charge of the Night Sky
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart
- 80 for Brady May Not Be a Masterpiece. But the World Needs More Movies Like This