In Sorry Not Sorry, which will be released Sept. 13, Rivera says she found out that she was pregnant by her ex-boyfriend Ryan Dorsey in late 2010 while starring as Santana Lopez on the hit Fox show. She decided to terminate the pregnancy so she could focus on her career.
“It was very scary to open up about everything,” Rivera told People. “It’s not something a lot of people talk about, but I think they should. I know some people might read it and say, ‘What the Hell?’ But I hope someone out there gets something out of it.”
Rivera also revealed that she developed anorexia as a sophomore in high school after her parents began having marital trouble, writing that she would avoid meals and throw away her lunch at school.
“I was so young and it just seemed to be the norm. Everyone was going through similar stuff,” Rivera told People. “I had no way of knowing if I was going through it worse. I was juggling my feelings and it makes me sad that there are girls still going through that 15 years after I went through it.”
Rivera married Dorsey in 2014 and gave birth to a son, Josey, in 2015. Rivera wants him to read her memoir.
“I hope it gives him a better perspective on the issues women face,” she told People.
Read the full story on People.com.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Samantha Cooney at email@example.com