Former Glee star Naya Rivera will open up for the first time about her decision to get an abortion and struggle with anorexia in her forthcoming memoir, People reports.
In Sorry Not Sorry, which will be released Sept. 13, Rivera says she found out that she was pregnant by her ex-boyfriend Ryan Dorsey in late 2010 while starring as Santana Lopez on the hit Fox show. She decided to terminate the pregnancy so she could focus on her career.
“It was very scary to open up about everything,” Rivera told People. “It’s not something a lot of people talk about, but I think they should. I know some people might read it and say, ‘What the Hell?’ But I hope someone out there gets something out of it.”
Rivera also revealed that she developed anorexia as a sophomore in high school after her parents began having marital trouble, writing that she would avoid meals and throw away her lunch at school.
“I was so young and it just seemed to be the norm. Everyone was going through similar stuff,” Rivera told People. “I had no way of knowing if I was going through it worse. I was juggling my feelings and it makes me sad that there are girls still going through that 15 years after I went through it.”
Rivera married Dorsey in 2014 and gave birth to a son, Josey, in 2015. Rivera wants him to read her memoir.
“I hope it gives him a better perspective on the issues women face,” she told People.
Read the full story on People.com.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement