In the first trailer for La La Land, we heard Ryan Gosling serenade Emma Stone with a melancholic tune. Now, it’s Stone’s turn to sing in the film’s second trailer. La La Land, Gosling and Stone’s third film together, is a musical in which she, an aspiring actress, and Gosling, a jazz musician, fall in love while trying to keep their dreams alive.
Stone performs a similarly somber song, called “Audition,” which honors the “ones who dream.” The teaser reveals a magical Los Angeles that intertwines the whimsy and devastation that comes with living the artist’s life, as the two dance around the city and emerge, disappointed, from auditions gone wrong. The film is directed by Damien Chazelle, who received an Oscar nomination for Whiplash.
“Here’s to the hearts that ache, here’s to the mess we made,” sings Stone. La La Land premieres at the Venice Film Festival this month and comes to U.S. audiences in December.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Mahita Gajanan at firstname.lastname@example.org