In the first trailer for La La Land, we heard Ryan Gosling serenade Emma Stone with a melancholic tune. Now, it’s Stone’s turn to sing in the film’s second trailer. La La Land, Gosling and Stone’s third film together, is a musical in which she, an aspiring actress, and Gosling, a jazz musician, fall in love while trying to keep their dreams alive.
Stone performs a similarly somber song, called “Audition,” which honors the “ones who dream.” The teaser reveals a magical Los Angeles that intertwines the whimsy and devastation that comes with living the artist’s life, as the two dance around the city and emerge, disappointed, from auditions gone wrong. The film is directed by Damien Chazelle, who received an Oscar nomination for Whiplash.
“Here’s to the hearts that ache, here’s to the mess we made,” sings Stone. La La Land premieres at the Venice Film Festival this month and comes to U.S. audiences in December.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating