Stephen Colbert has been on a break from The Late Show during the Olympic Games, but he returned Monday night for to have some fun with Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte’s exclusive interview about the whole “overexaggerated” robbery story he reported happened in Rio.
Lochte, of course, already sat down with the Today show’s Matt Lauer to explain his version of the incident that made international headlines, but Colbert decided to re-use the same interview, taking short clips from the real interview and re-contextualizing for his audience’s entertainment.
In the fake interview, Colbert demands answers, and Lochte’s explanation was simple: “I over-exaggerated that part.” And Lochte had a great answer for everything: “I was intoxicated.”
Colbert also poked fun at the swimmer during his monologue, suggesting that Lochte consider a run for president.
“Now the whole world thinks that Ryan Lochte is that crazy American with the weird hair who keeps making stuff up and causing an international incident, which is not how an Olympian acts,” Colbert said. “That is how a presidential candidate acts.”
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror