There’s no Olympic medal for most Instagram likes (at least not yet), but if there was, Neymar, a soccer player for Team Brazil, would have dominated. The 24-year-old took the top two spots in this list, in addition to taking home the gold for his home country of Brazil, where he has been hailed as soccer’s savior.
Another Brazilian medal-winner, Arthur Nory Mariano, also made the list, with a photo of himself holding the bronze he took home for gymnastics.
Other Insta-popular athletes will come as no surprise. Superstar gymnast, Simone Biles, who won five medals in Rio, four of them gold, shared a selfie with Zac Efron, as did fellow Team USA member, Aly Raisman. Usain Bolt, the fastest man in the world, shared photos of two of his gold medal wins for the 200 and 100 meter runs.
Michael Phelps, who, like Usain Bolt, has announced his retirement, shared a heartfelt thank you to Rio and a photo of his family enjoying his retirement in, where else, the pool. USA basketball’s Kevin Durant also shared a photo on himself with Phelps with the caption, “In the presence of greatness”, although to be fair, he, too, claimed a gold this year.
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement