A 4-month-old boy survived an attack at an Alabama home that left five people dead.
Police found the baby in the home in Citronelle, Ala. after the attack on Saturday. The victims, including a pregnant woman, were killed by firearms and several other weapons, police said.
Officials identified the pregnant victim as Chelsea Marie Reed. The other victims were Robert Lee Brown, Justin Kaleb Reed, Joseph Adam Turner and Shannon Melissa Randall.
Derrick Ryan Dearman, 27, turned himself in following the murders at a police station in Mississippi, CNN reported. Dearman allegedly kidnapped a woman and a 3-month-old baby from the home, and drove to Mississippi, letting them go before he turned himself in. Police said the woman and baby are safe and in good health.
Dearman will be charged with six counts of capital murder to include the unborn child, Captain Paul Burch of the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office told CNN.
According to Burch, multiple people were in the home at the time of the attack. Neighbors said a brother, a sister and their families lived in the house.
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now