Another emotionally athletic Olympics ends Sunday, and now that it’s truly in the final stretch, it’s time to look back at how the lookalike spotters of the Internet decided some of the world’s finest athletes looked an awful lot like celebrities.
As always, Twitter willed photos of some of Rio’s finest athletes and their famous doppelgangers into Internet trendiness. Most recently, people loved it when Zac Efron posed with his Internet-appointed Olympic doppelgänger, diver Michael Hixon. (Like Efron, Hixon also has blue eyes and appears sans shirt sometimes, so they’re identical twins.)
Click through the slideshow for seven Olympians that reminded viewers of the true champions, the real year-round famous people.
- How to Help Victims of the Texas School Shooting
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- What the Buffalo Tragedy Has to Do With the Effort to Overturn Roe
- Column: The U.S. Failed Miserably on COVID-19. Canada Shows It Didn't Have to Be That Way
- N.Y. Will Soon Require Businesses to Post Salaries in Job Listings. Here's What Happened When Colorado Did It
- The 46 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2022
- ‘We Are in a Moment of Reckoning.’ Amanda Nguyen on Taking the Fight for Sexual Violence Survivors to the U.N.
Archer Brandy Ellis and Leonardo DiCaprio
If this scruffy American archer ever gets the Martin Scorsese-directed biopic he deserves for having such great aim, DiCaprio is the one to play him.
Diver Michael Hixon and Zac Efron
After the Internet decided to associate Efron with another athlete he was destined to meet, Efron went and did just that with his brand new twin Hixon, a Team USA diver. Hot off his surprise visit with Simone Biles, he solidified his status as a true bestie of the Internet with this mind blowing encounter of the hilarious kind. He’s the fairy godmother of all Olympics meeting wishes.
Cyclist Pauline Ferrand-Prevot and Kate Middleton
Swimmer Ryan Lochte and Jack Frost
Without the hair, these two might not have been put side by side to maximize the internet breakage potential, but Lochte’s dye job was extremely historic.
Matt Hazlett—Getty ImagesRyan Lochte and toon Jack Frost
Gymnast Aliya Mustafina and Gloria Estefan
Diver David Boudia and Jared Leto
Due to insufficient exposure for the Suicide’s Squad’s Joker, Boudia participated in the Olympics so that he could lead group tours around his Leto-like bone structure, and also compete. Twitter was loving this one.