Green has been a popular color at this year’s Rio Olympics. First there was the abundance of vegetation playing a central, explosive role at the Opening Ceremony. Then, there was the mystery of the emerald-hued diving pool. And now we have the bright lime tennis court arena — which, internet users have noted, is just the right shade to serve as an ideal green screen to superimpose alternate backgrounds for the games.
Great Britain’s Andy Murray and Argentina’s Juan Martin Del Potro may have played a historic four-hour match on Sunday resulting in Murray’s second consecutive gold-medal win, but there was another winner that day: an Imgur user and GIF-maker who pulled together a set of trippy clips that have garnered more than 500,000 views. Whether the two athletes are swimming with the fishes, surviving in outer space, or playing atop a field of hot flowing magma, the digitally-manipulated settings definitely heat things up — and bring a whole new perspective to the importance of hitting inside the lines.
Click through for an adventure in green screen creativity.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy