Green has been a popular color at this year’s Rio Olympics. First there was the abundance of vegetation playing a central, explosive role at the Opening Ceremony. Then, there was the mystery of the emerald-hued diving pool. And now we have the bright lime tennis court arena — which, internet users have noted, is just the right shade to serve as an ideal green screen to superimpose alternate backgrounds for the games.
Great Britain’s Andy Murray and Argentina’s Juan Martin Del Potro may have played a historic four-hour match on Sunday resulting in Murray’s second consecutive gold-medal win, but there was another winner that day: an Imgur user and GIF-maker who pulled together a set of trippy clips that have garnered more than 500,000 views. Whether the two athletes are swimming with the fishes, surviving in outer space, or playing atop a field of hot flowing magma, the digitally-manipulated settings definitely heat things up — and bring a whole new perspective to the importance of hitting inside the lines.
Click through for an adventure in green screen creativity.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears