After speaking out against one of her comedy writers who had made controversial comments on rape, Amy Schumer posted a tweet Wednesday night suggesting she’s no longer going to make her Comedy Central series Inside Amy Schumer.
Her bombshell tweet came after Inside Amy Schumer writer Kurt Metzger posted a series of derided Facebook and Twitter posts, which seemed to scold women who don’t go to the police after alleged sexual assaults.
Reps for Schumer and Comedy Central, which in January ordered a fifth season of the hit show, have not confirmed it is ending.
Metzger’s comments started to generate greater media attention on Wednesday when Schumer tweeted, “I am so saddened and disappointed in Kurt Metzger. He is my friend and a great writer and I couldn’t be more against his recent actions.” When her words were criticized by followers, she later added, “Kurt does not work for me. He is not a writer on my show. Please stop asking me about it. His words are not mine.”
Then, Metzger wrote in a series of Facebook comments that he was the one who got Schumer to disavow his remarks. “Enough with the messages blasting Amy when I specifically told her to do exactly what she did,” Metzger wrote, adding, “Amy wanted to say nothing. … She would have been silent to the end. I will not have other people have to go down for me.”
Inside Amy Schumer aired its fourth season finale in June. The provocative series won a Peabody Award in 2014, and last year nabbed two Emmys, including one for Outstanding Variety Sketch Series. She will also vie for another Emmy in the outstanding comedy actress category at next month’s ceremony.
Schumer’s tweet suggesting her show is ending comes two days after Comedy Central announced the cancellation of Larry Wilmore’s The Nightly Show.
Natalie Abrams and Dan Snierson contributed to this report.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart